Monday, September 6, 2021

comí algunas hormigas

Hey guys! This week was a grind as always. It blows my mind how long the days are but how fast the weeks are too. The days are weeks and the weeks are days. It’s just nuts to think that I’m writing another one of these emails. But anyways here’s my weekly report. Hope you enjoy


Español

Spanish is going pretty great. I’ve really been studying a lot more grammar stuff which has been helpful. Elder Lugo also corrects me about everything which is super annoying but helpful I guess haha.


Arm Wrestle Coke Man

There’s this guy we found street contacting who is really weird but cool. He’s either super annoyed to see us or he’s super animate and just wants to talk all day. It’s just kinda funny. He told us in our first visit when his birthday was so I wrote it down in our calendar so we could pay him a visit. So this week we went over on his birthday to see how he was doing. He was upset that we didn’t bring him a gift so I gave him 10 pesos and told him to by himself a coke from his own colmado. Which he did. Then somehow our lesson on the plan of salvation got derailed and I ended up arm wrestling him. He was trying to show us how strong he is for being so old I think. I’m still not really sure who won it. At the end of the “lesson” he said he wanted to be baptized. We went back on our scheduled appointment to talk more and he was really mad at us for some reason haha and he said he had a headache and it hurt to talk but he wouldn’t stop talking about how much he didn’t want to talk. We were there for like 10 minutes. But he’s cool. 

Ants = Protein

We stopped by a colmado after a lesson and I bought a little piece of bread and some juice. We were walking to another appointment and I was a bit preoccupied and wasn’t looking at what I was eating. ¾’s of bread later, I looked down and saw that the whole thing was infested with ants. I was pretty annoyed. My stomach felt weird the rest of the night.


Johan

Johan is actually probably the most elect person ever. We found him a couple of weeks ago while street contacting in between lessons. We walked up to him and a group of other kids that he was with. They were all between the ages of 10-16 or so. Johan is 14. If I remember right, the first thing we said was “who here would like a happy future?”. They all said yea, so we started to teach them about how they could do it. We got all their numbers but didn’t expect any of them would respond to us because that’s normal. But he texted us before Sunday and said he wanted to come to church. And he did! He’s been going ever since. He’s also going to seminary every morning at 6:00 am. He’s such a stud. 

But yea teaching him has been such a blessing. He’s been really quick to obey everything we teach him. We taught him the law of chastity and he was excited to live it. We talked about eternal companions and he was really excited about it. To show him the blessings of an eternal family, I showed him a picture of my family. He thought my sisters were really attractive haha and wanted their number. After pestering me for a while I sent him my dads number. It was kinda funny. I’ll attach a picture below. 

But Johan is so elect and all the members know him. We’ve been getting members at every lesson. At one lesson we had with Johan we felt prompted that we needed a member there but weren’t able to get one beforehand and it was 8:00 at night. But we knew where a member nearby lived so we sprinted to their house and asked if they could join a lesson and they said yes. So we sprinted back to Johans house to tell him. On the way to his house, I ran into a pile of sand (there are lots of piles of sand/dirt all over the place) which knocked me over into a pile of dirt. It was actually pretty funny looking back, but I felt pretty dumb. My pants and shoes and everything were covered. All of Johans family thought it was really funny. But we ended up getting that member to help us teach Johan that night, and they asked him if he would help give people hand sanitizer at the stake conference Saturday and Sunday. So Johan did that too which was awesome. He also got up at 6:00 am on Saturday at the request of the bishop to clean the chapel. 

Anyways, he’s just super awesome. Last night we had another lesson with him and he told us about how he’s come to know the Book of Mormon is true which is great. He’s set to get baptized this Saturday. Hopefully all goes well. 


La Obra

Aside from Johan, the work is going great. We have Jeremy who should get baptized with Johan this week, and next week we have the fiance of a member named Laura who is awesome and is set to get baptized, as well as our friend Moises. And the week after that Jonas and Antonio should be getting baptized as well. And there are other people we’re working with as well and it’s going great. It is a little overwhelming though. Because of stake conference, church started at 10 am yesterday, and it normally starts at 8. So our church attendance just went crazy and a ton of people came. We didn’t even have time to see who of all the people we’re teaching came. It’s been crazy. But it’s good. 


Spiritual Thought

A thought I’ve had this week is how big the church is. I never really thought I’d find so many strong members of the gospel in such remote places of the world, but they’re really everywhere which has been cool to see. And the work is really increasing. The gospel is literally being carried to the entire world. It’s pretty awesome. 

Another thought I’ve had is focusing on the good. The way I write my emails is that during the week, I take note of spiritual/funny things that happen and then write them down. Then I pull up that list of things at the end of the week and expound on it. And voila. It hit me recently that, if I wanted, I could take note of depressing and hard experiences and just expound on those instead. And those stories would be totally true and accurate, but you would all leave feeling depressed. Point is, just as I’m having happy experiences, I’m also having really depressing ones haha. And choosing to focus on the ones that are good makes me happier. 


Also, big shout out to my little bro @Elder Hyrum Wride who got set apart as a missionary last night!! He's gonna do great.


I love you all. 

No(s) vemo(s)

- Elder Wride







No comments:

Post a Comment