Monday, September 20, 2021

la semana pasada

So this week went by really fast (as usual) and it was pretty good so feel free to read about it if you want.

Gordito

It’s kinda funny how everyone here is super straight up with everything. If you are short and chunky, people call you “gordito”. “Gordo” means fat, and “ito” means small, so adding “ito” at the end of it means that you're fat and tiny. Jeremy, who got baptized last week is short and tubby, so we all call him gordito. I feel kinda bad but it’s just so normal here. And if you're skinny they’ll refer to you as “el flaco” which literally translates to “the skinny”. It’s just funny and kind of offensive but I’m enjoying it. 


Cállate, por favor

There’s a lot of people here that won’t interrupt you while you’re talking, but if they start talking, they will literally never stop. They just go on and on and on. This one couple is the worst at it. I’ve had to start setting an alarm to go off while they are talking and then I pretend it’s a phone call and step outside and am like “holaaa que lo que. Oh, necesitamos irnos? Okay.” And then I’m like “hey we gotta go...can we share our message with you real quick”. So setting an alarm has been pretty nice. I do it quite a bit.


Power Outage

While we were out proselyting early in the day a huge storm came out of nowhere and the power went out. It was kinda funny because the last couple of storms we’ve been told to stay inside all day but this one they didn’t say anything, and it was a lot worse. We didn’t have our raincoats on us either, but a member saw us and gave us trash bags to put over our heads, which we did. Picture is attached.

We looked pretty freaky. The power was still out at the end of the day, so we cooked our dinner and everything with a little flashlight. The power was out all night too. It was the best night's rest I’ve had here. Because there had been no power all day everyone's speakers were dead so they couldn’t blast it from their houses all night like they usually do haha. And the light out in the street that is by our window that never turns off was out. So I slept really well. 


Laura

The highlight of the week was our good friend Laura being baptized. We’ve been teaching her for a few weeks and have been anxious for her to get there. Her fiance, Rafi, is a member so he got to baptize her. It was awesome and it was really fulfilling to be able to see her get baptized. I feel super blessed to have had a small part to play in her conversion! She is so elect and is an amazing addition to the ward. She was crying a lot during the baptism too so she definitely was feeling the spirit. It was also so great to have all the ward members there to support her and to see how happy they were for her. The church is like one big family. It was just great. 


Spiritual Stuff

A couple of months ago my dad sent me an article by John Groberg who served as a missionary in Tonga. He shared something really profound in the talk that I’d like to share. 


“The pattern for growth and joy in this life is:

1. Learn the truth—know what is right.

2. Promise, or commit, to live the truth.

3. Keep that promise, no matter what trials may come, by trusting the Lord to help you. I promise He will!”


I thought that was super cool and have been using this pattern. It’s been working too. The Lord has really been helping out. We have so many good friends getting ready for baptism and it’s super exciting. Especially right now, I feel like I’m watching the chess pieces move in the Lord’s plan for me and I think I am starting to see (I think) how a lot of it is gonna play out and it’s really exciting. To know that the Lord is actually nearby is a relief. If I am keeping his commandments, I can’t go wrong. 


Also huge shoutout to my little brother Daniel for having a birthday this week. Honestly I have no idea how old he is, all I know is that he had a birthday. I also saw a kid this week in the street who literally looks exactly like him so that was cool. 

Also, if anybody want's to send me something (money? haha jk...👀) here's my mailing address


Letters-

SDQ 8013

P.O. Box 025725

Miami, FL 33102-5725


Packages-

SDQ 8013

2250 NW 114th Ave Unit 1A

Miami, FL 33172-3652


“And now I give unto you no more at this time. Amen.”(D&C 94:17)


  • Elder Wride

No comments:

Post a Comment