Monday, August 31, 2020

Week 7 - First Week in the Field

Subject: what am I doing with my life

Okay, wow. What in the world even just happened.

One minute, there I was, chilling in my grandparents basement having the time of life. Now, all of the sudden, I’m in the middle of nowhere rooming with three dudes I just met. I have a lot to tell you guys. As always, I will do my best to make it entertaining. 

Man where to start. I feel like I’ve been here for years. Which is a problem because I will actually be here for years and have only been here for a few days. So, Sunday I said bye to my wonderful grandparents who let me stay in their house. It was honestly really hard to leave all of that. Online MTC was the life. I was still a missionary, but got to chill with the fam and I had the whole basement to myself. Man I miss that. On monday I played spikeball and frisbee (and won every time) with my fam until late. I miss those guys. We had root beer floats at my house and then kids started to go to bed. There are so freaking many kids in that house I wasn’t exactly able to give the goodbye I wanted to all of them but it was still good. I was up till after 2 am packing and finishing stuff up. Then, at 3:25 am, after an hour of sleep, I got up and got ready to leave. It was honestly terrifying. I went to all of the sleeping kids and said bye even though most of them were out cold. Joseph and Melodie came out to the car to say goodbye though. My grandma Hibbert even came down. I guess she was just passing by haha! But she gave me a hug too and it was sad. Love you grandma! 
Me, baby Peter, my dad, and my mom drove to the airport. It all happened so fast. One minute we were all there and then it was gone.
Gave pete a kiss and my dad a hug and then my mom walked me in.
Walking away from that woman was extremely difficult. I miss my mom. Call me a baby haha but I have deep appreciation for her. She used to change my diapers! That’s gross! But also super nice of her (thanks mom). Anyways as I was walking away from her I felt the tears coming but fought them like a man. Only a couple little ones escaped. It was at the gate that the whole situation started to sink in. I was the first of all the missionaries there, and then, late as always, Elder Truman Pugsley came. It was good to see that man. The other missionaries were all dope too. In that one day of travel I made so many friends. On both of my flights I was out cold the entire time to make up for my one hour of sleep. I sat next to Truman on the second flight and when the turbulence got bad we’d put our hands up and say “weeee!” except not that loud because we’re missionaries now and had to be respectful. 
We had a four hour layover in Atlanta. There were like 15 or so missionaries in total. Because we’re hilarious, and nobody else speaks Ferb-Latin, me and Truman would speak it when we didn’t want anyone to know what we were saying. It was hilarious. We got some weird looks. At the gate we were all sitting in silence, and I asked Truman in ferb latin “oderb ouyerb antwerp oterb ogerb etgerb aerb rostyferb ithwerb emerb?” (do you want to go get a frosty with me?). He said “esyerb” (yes) so we both stood up and left. It was hilarious.
Just imagining what the other missionaries were thinking. Two missionaries just start speaking in gibberish and then stand up and leave. It was funny. Ferb latin is the goat.

I’m not sure exactly what went down, but the combination of a frosty for breakfast, chick fil a for lunch, one hour of sleep, and airplane turbulence we’re not a good for my stomach. I was legitimately about to oopperb my pants. Thankfully, I had some tums that grandma wride gave me so I just scarfed down four of those. Probably not a good idea either in the long run haha. It sustained me for an hour which was good. Gave me just enough time to get to the mission home bathroom. The elders started teasing me though because they saw me just stuffing myself with tums haha and on the car ride to the mission home I kept asking how far we were. Anyways not that you guys wanted to hear all that, but there you go anyways. And if you’re wondering, yes, four bathroom trips later, I felt great. Maybe not great, but better. 


The mission home was dope! Me and Elder Pugsley quacked our beds so fast. Even in those couple hours we kinda had a squad formed up. Me, Elder Pugsley, Elder Mccan, Elder Lewis, and Elder Kimball, and some other elders that are lit too but I can’t remember their names haha.
Dinner was tasty. I don’t really know what’s up, but lately I’ve been eating so much food. When I started online MTC I was 135 but I weighed myself yesterday and I was at 150. Not sure what’s happening haha. Manhood prolly. Anyways Elder Mccan and Elder Lewis just watched me keep going back for more and more plates haha. That night we went on a walk with President Bell. Missouri is freaking hot!!! It literally feels like stepping into a sauna every time you go outside. Especially with the temple g’s it is hace muy calor. Also that night I got to call my dad and my grandma wride for a sec so that was nice. 


That night I was upstairs playing piano and Truman was listening. Gradually more and more missionaries kept coming and then literally everyone was up there. Because I’m an entertainer, I started playing “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars on the piano, but translated it in my head into spanish. It was pretty bad spanish jaja, but it was super funny. Eventually President Bell came and everyone was like “do it again for president Bell” and I kinda freaked out.

I had truman get the actual spanish lyrics and I read it off his phone as I played. It was a good time. I very quickly established my male dominance among all of those elders. They knew who the alpha dog was. They even were gonna let me take the king bed but I very humbly took the bunk. Jk that’s not entirely true but I’m sure I could have taken the king bed. Just didn’t want to be “that guy”. We also played a lot of foosball that night and thanks to my dad, I conquered. 

The next day was wild. We all went over to the church and had a little devotional in the chapel with president and sister bell.
Okay, for those of you who don’t know, I really like music and playing piano. But piano isn’t my primary instrument, so I can’t read piano music haha. BUT, president bell didn’t know that, so when they needed a pianist for prelude and to play an opening hymn, over the pulpit in front of everyone he pointed to me and was like “Elder Wride, can you do some prelude?”. It was scary but yea. So I played piano and everyone was dead silent just watching me. I would get occasional thumbs up from some of the elders and yea. Then President Bell was like “we’re gonna start by singing hymn number…” and then as he was trying to decide a hymn number I was like “HYMN 116!” because that’s literally the only hymn I know. Luckily he approved, So I played “Come Follow Me” for everybody quite nicely. 


During the discussion, we read a scripture in D&C 100. The hardest thing for me was leaving my family and siblings. I may like to be the big tough brother but it was really hard leaving them. I pray for them every night, and it’s hard because I feel like I’m one of the parents with all of the little kids. I want to be there for them. I’ve been praying a lot lately for God to take especially good care of them since I’m not there anymore, and then we read in D&C 100:


“Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, my friends Sidney and Joseph [or in my case, Ethan] , your families are well; they are in amine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power.


This hit hard. I love my family. God is aware of them. Hope you guys are doing well!

After our devotional thing was the exciting part where we got to meet our trainers! My trainer is Elder Morgan. He’s pretty sick. We found out that our parents went to high school together and were even in the jazz band together at Skyline which is so sick. We both really like music so we’ve bonded over that. Also a crazy thing: Elder Pugsley is in my zone! Man we just can’t get enough of each other. So I’ll be seeing him quite a bit. Every time we’re together we instantly turn back into our high school selfs and roast each other about bowling and stuff. One guy was confused about how comfortable we were with each other and then we told him we went to HS together so that was nice. 


Not gonna lie, it’s been a rough couple of days for me. (also sorry side note as I’m writing this an elder is calling his family but he doesn’t have headphones so it’s super awkward because I’m here. All of his answers are like 5 words long and then he looks over at me. Sorry elder!). Anyways yea, it’s been a rough couple of days. I’m feeling better about being away from home, but all of the sudden I’ve gotten confused. I don’t know how to explain it. I was literally reading my own farewell talk to find answers. It’s just hard adjusting to missionary life. The mission field is NOT the MTC. It just isn’t. Not that it isn’t great, but things are gonna take a bit to adjust to.

It’s also been hard because I’m stuck in the apt.

I did more teaching in the MTC than here, so hopefully that changes soon.



To keep myself sane I’ve been eating a lot of ice-cream, playing a ton of spikeball, and doing lots of service. Honestly mowing someone’s lawn or pulling weeds is super awesome. I need to forget myself and get to work. So yea I’ve done a lot of service.
 

One guy who’s lawn we did looks literally exactly like doctor phil. I have a man crush on him already. On saturday as a zone we went and did more service at the cemetery. It was awesome. Elder Pugsley was there, so it was good to see that dude again haha.


Funny story, I was wearing a yellow shirt and yellow-ish pants, and apparently with the lighting, I looked like I wasn’t wearing any clothes. Multiple Elders afterwards told me that every time at first glance they thought I wasn’t wearing any clothes. So yea it was great doing service at the cemetery and hanging with the boys! 

Honestly, I feel like I’m living the best two years movie. Me and my comp elder morgan are sharing an apt with our zone leaders.
They are all lit, but it’s an adjustment. Elder Bowles and elder McNeil are the zone leaders. Honestly I don’t even know where to start with these two. It’s kinda like dumb and dumber but they are both very smart. If that makes sense. 

Elder Bowles the goat! He’s also engaged fun fact. He got engaged while being on his mission, to a girl he met online, playing dungeons and dragons, who lives in CA. Oh, and he’s never met her in person haha. Kinda funny stuff. I hope things work out with them! Also I really hope she doesn’t turn out to be a 50 year old man. Also she isn’t a member of the church. Elder Bowles has got a hecka ton of faith for that relationship. Excited to see where that goes! But yea Elder Bowles is lit. Every night him and Elder McNeil play D&D and some other Elders come over too. I don’t really understand it, but yea. 


Elder McNeil is quite the man. Also into D&D. Honestly the zone leaders have become like my big brothers. I don’t really know what to say about Elder McNeil. He’s just the guy you have to meet in person to understand what he’s like. Alright here’s a short story to try and describe him: I was using the bathroom, and he picked the lock so he could come in and brush his teeth. There you go.


But yea it’s literally the best two years. It’s a party. Four other elders in our complex come over to play D&D. The bromance vibes here are kind of too much for me. Like Elder Merrill and Elder Morgan every night cuddle in his bed and scratch each others backs simultaneously. That’s gonna take some getting used to. I’m not even gonna go into detail about all the bromance here, but yea that’s gonna take a bit. I love all these guys, but I don’t want to cuddle in my bed with any of them. 



I cook meals a lot.
Pork chops, rice, and beans.
Elder Morgan calls me “chef wride”.
My whole apt just thinks I really like cooking, but I don’t. I just LOVE eating.
I bought some fruity pebbles with marshmallows today. So stoked for dinner!!!

But yea this week was aight. Not really sure what else I should put on here. I have been playing so much spikeball it’s not even funny. I’m getting really good too. Keep the prayers coming please because I’m kinda struggling. I want to be a missionary, and I want to teach people. We’ve mostly just been talking to members, but I feel like this next week is gonna be better. It’s just been so weird. Like I’m on my mission.
Every hour or so it hits me again. 
I would enjoy hearing from any of you guys! Pray for my success please haha. I want to be a good missionary.
Love you all. Take care

I sent all of the photos in a separate email. Enjoy (This is Ethan's mom, I downloaded all the pics and videos put them in the letter here where they kinda fit. But for some reason I felt like i had to leave his last sentence there in his email to make it historically accurate)

--
- Elder Wride

No comments:

Post a Comment