This week was pretty interesting. I have 4 months left officially. Time is going by pretty fast.
Freaking Gringo
While we were out proselyting we met some gringos in our area in Padre Granero preaching. We stopped and talked to them for a while. We taught them a little bit about the restoration and for the most part it was a good talk. They were a little sketchy but still pretty polite. Then as we were finishing another gringo came over. A big old guy with a big nose wearing a Texas shirt. Before I had even started talking to him, I could feel like something bad was going to happen. He started bashing against us and I started to defend, and then he started yelling. I was on an exchange with 2 greenies so they weren’t really able to do much, so I felt very alone. I stood there in the middle of the street surrounded by Dominicans as this texas guy yelled at me about Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, etc.. There’s been times on my mission where I feel the absence of the Spirit, but I didn’t like this especially because it also had the presence of the devil. After he stopped talking I started to defend the Gospel and the prophet Joseph Smith and he went at it again. He then told me he had read the Book of Mormon. I asked him what part of it went against the Bible, and he said all of it. I then told him that he hadn’t actually read it. Anyways, it was just pretty bad. It would have gone on forever but I just told them that this wasn’t doing anyone any good and that we should leave. So we left.
I was really sad and angry the rest of the day. Not because I was having doubts about the gospel, but because I know it’s true but couldn’t seem to get the message across in a way that they could understand. It was really frustrating. But it was comforting to remember that when Jesus Christ Himself came to earth, he was rejected too. Even though it was a frustrating experience, I am always happy to be wearing the tag. Because like Elder Holland said in a talk, when we are rejected, we are “standing shoulder to shoulder with the greatest life this world has ever known”.
Esmeralda’s Baptism
That was a low of the week, but Esmeralda’s baptism was great. She is Marisas daughter, who I talked about last week. Her brother Anderson was going to get baptized with her, but he wasn’t ready. But it was a super spiritual baptism. I got up and got to share my testimony of the gospel and the story of Marisa and her family. There have only been very few times in my mission where I start to get choked up while sharing my testimony, and this was one of them. I talked about how the Gospel brings joy, and how the most joy I have ever felt has always come from living the gospel. I also had major chills while I was speaking haha.
My companion’s spoke too and it was really spiritual. Then the member leading the meeting stood up. He is almost 90. He stood up and said, “I was baptized 42 years ago, and the same Spirit I felt on my baptismal day, I feel now”. He was also starting to cry which was cool jaja.
Then she got baptized. Our friend Bryant baptized her. As her and Bryant were changing, we put on “Homeward Bound” by Motab on the bluetooth speaker we had. The spirit filled the room. The line that said “then the wind will set me racing, as my journey nears it’s end” was super powerful.
At that moment the Spirit hit me so hard as I realized that my mission is nearing it’s end. It made me sad.
Gloria
I’ve talked about her a few times and I have just grown to love her so much. She sent us a text saying that the week after her baptism has been the worst week of her life and asked us why. It made me sad to hear that, but I wasn’t surprised. Satan always attacks right before, or right after something really good. But we had a good talk with her and she’s doing good now. Here’s one of the texts that she sent us. She is working on her english so we talk in english sometimes haha. Sorry if it’s confusing but here it is anyways
“When I met you, there was a voice in my head that told me to speak to you. I am a very anti-social person. I don't like talking to people I don't know and I don't have many friends for that reason. I met you at a difficult time emotionally. But I was able to get over it. I really had so many years without going to church. I had a lifestyle before I started going to church. I even stopped wearing my piercings of my own will. I had six earrings in my right ear and four in my left ear and one in my nose. It was planned to have others. But I took them off and I only have one pair in each ear. Obviously there was no lack of "Friendships" who told me that I won't change for following some weirdos. To be honest I was called out at school for my piercings and I never took them off. Because it wasn't the only one he had. But I lost "Friends" who were never really my friends. Now I'm having a wisdom that I didn't have before. But finally I had something that I have been looking for since my mom died and that is peace of mind. My emptiness was filled when I reconciled with the Heavenly Father. My grandparents are happy that I return to the ways of God”
She is just the best. And she texted us yesterday saying that she just got called as the relief society secretary which is awesome. I am so proud to know her. Being a saint is hard, but it’s also rewarding.
On the other hand, we have one of our amazing friends who totally wrecked us this week. She was one of our most progressing friends but now she says that she doesn’t want us to talk to her anymore. It broke my heart. But I thought of the line from the hymn and the line that says “they who reject this glad message shall never such happiness know”. Although Gloria is taking the path that feels like more work at the time, she is also on the path that will ultimately lead to the most happiness.
Also yesterday was the Dominican Republic independance day. President Nelson gave us a shout out too. I love this country! 
Bye!
Elder Wride
No comments:
Post a Comment