Monday, February 21, 2022

Asunto - Todo bien

This was a pretty good week


Marisa y Su Familia

There is a family we met at the beginning of this transfer that I love so much. The mom’s name is Marisa, and she has two kids named Esmeralda and Anderson. We were walking through a callejón and the spirit hit us hard to talk to them. So we talked to them for a second and shared a short restoration. Then we went back a couple days later. I knew they were elect when she greeted me by saying “Hola Elder!”. It was epic. We’ve been teaching them since and I love them so much. Like two weeks ago we had a lesson and she told us that she loves what she’s learned so far, but she doesn’t want to leave the church she is at, and wouldn’t be coming to church again the next day. We told her that before she walks away from it, to read a chapter in the Book of Mormon and pray to God about if our message is true. And we invited her that if she got an answer, she should come to church again the next day. We stopped by in the morning before going to church to see where they were and she wasn’t there. It was still gonna be an hour and half until church started so we just figured she wasn't coming. But then we went to church and saw that her and her family were there again! After the sacrament meeting I asked her if she got an answer. She told me that she didn’t see anything. I asked her if she felt anything, and she didn’t really answer it. But I think she did. Otherwise she wouldn’t have come to church. 


We had a lot of good lessons with the family again this week. We taught the restoration again and showed her a video of the first vision. At the end she said “I don’t have any questions now” and forwarded the video to a bunch of her whatsapp friends. It was super epic! Then the next time we came by we saw that she had watched the movie “Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration” on her own. She also watched a session of the October 2021 general conference! When I heard that my jaw literally dropped. But yea they are the best. She needs to get married to her husband before she can get baptized, so it will be a little bit for her. But the kids want to get baptized so we’ll see what happens with that. She’s so committed to the gospel that she told us she was going to move out so she wouldn’t live with her pareja jaja. But instead we’re just going to work towards getting them married. Which by the way is a really expensive thing here, so if anyone wants to help let me know haha. But I love this family so much. 


Sacrament Meeting Testimony

Yesterday a member shared a story that I just loved so I wanted to include it here. She has been a member most of her life. When she was younger and recently married she really wanted to have kids but nothing she did was working. This went on for a couple of years. A while later she was in a meeting with her stake president here in Puerto Plata and he told her that Elder Richard G. Scott of the quorum of the 12 apostles was coming to visit the Dominican Republic and that he was going to meet with him. He asked her if she wanted to give anything to him, so this sister wrote a letter to Elder Scott explaining a little bit her situation with not being able to have kids and such. She tried to write the letter in english at first but then realized she couldn’t write it and just wrote a letter in spanish instead. She didn’t know that Elder Scott spoke Spanish, but he was able to read her letter. He told the stake president to tell her that he and the entire quorum were going to kneel together that Thursday evening in the temple and pray for her. He also said that they would start a fast together. A little over a year later, she had her first kid. 


She then bore her testimony that God hears our prayers and loves us. It was such a good testimony. I was getting pretty teared up. It was also another testament to me of the leaders of the church. They are really servants of the Lord who aren’t perfect, but sincerely want the best for God’s people. They are prophets of God.


Noel y Loren

I don’t remember if I mentioned Noel and Loren before, but they are the best. Loren has been an inactive member but accidentally referred herself online so we started meeting with her. Now she is fully active again and her husband Noel is getting baptized soon. We’ve been working with them for a while, because they aren’t legally married. But the plan is for their wedding to be this week so Noel should be ready to get baptized right after that. It’s been really cool meeting with them. Loren has told us about dreams she’s had about the gospel which are probably too personal to share but it really has strengthened my faith. Honestly, she is only recently reactivated but she loves the Lord so much. We were talking to her about her getting married, her husband getting baptized, etc., telling her that Satan will do all he can to keep these things from happening. She was like “I know, but I am a lot stronger that he is”. And the way she said it was just so epic. I love these people! 


Albert

We met a guy named Albert this past week who is super elect. We were walking and the spirit hit us to talk to him so we did and it’s been a miracle since. We’ve already taught him most all of the gospel. When we were teaching him about the Plan of Salvation and the premortal life, he told us that he feels like he made someone a promise that he needs to fulfil, but he doesn’t know who, when, or where. Pretty cool.


We all thought I was going to leave this transfer (which we just found out I’m staying) so last night I said bye to Albert, who I’ve only known for a week. And he was literally crying. It was super bittersweet. I’m happy to be staying here to teach him. But it was another testament to me of the power of the gospel. I barely know this guy but I love him a lot. 


Mark

Another miracle! Wayyyyy back when I was serving in Litchfield Illinois I talked a lot about our friend Mark who almost got baptized while I was there. Elder Pugsley forwarded me a message this week (kind of apostate because it wasn’t on P-day but whatever) of his baptismal invitation. He got baptized on Saturday! I am so happy! He is one of the best men I know so that was another huge blessing to hear about this week. 


Gloria pt. 2

A little while ago I talked about our friend Gloria who me and Elder Opheikens met at the bus station six weeks ago. She got baptized on Saturday too which was awesome.

And our mission President showed up too. But I love her a lot. We’ve been talking over whatsapp throughout the whole process. She sent us a text that was super funny. Here it is in spanish and english - 


“Ustedes son los primeros misioneros que les hable y son importantes para. Yo no suelo hablar con gente extraña  yo casi no tengo amigos por esa misma razón. Pero había una voz en mi cabeza qué me impulso a hablarles porque pensé que ustedes eran testigos de Jehová.


You are the first missionaries I speak to and you are important to.  I don't usually talk to strangers, I hardly have any friends for that very reason.  But there was a voice in my head that prompted me to speak to you because I thought you were Jehovah's Witnesses.”

So yea there’s some stuff about what’s been going on here in Puerto Plata! I have another six weeks here at least so that’s fun. I hate trios though so kinda bummed about that but whatever. As long as we’re working hard it will be good. 

Love you all! 







No comments:

Post a Comment