Saludos mis queridos hermanas y hermanos. Aquí estoy con otro correo electrónico.
Exchanges beard
This week I was out on exchanges for like 3 days straight. But by the end of the three days, I was looking like a wild man. I haven’t gone that long without shaving for like 18 months so it was intense. Our neighbor Daury saw me when I got back and told me (in his broken English) that I “look like a man”. We street contacted this lady who was kinda mean to us. She also had a bit of a mustache. As we walked away my green companion said to me, “her mustache is better than yours”. Not sure if that statement was roasting me or her more, but it was kinda funny. Also it caught me off guard because this elder is like the sweetest guy but then out of nowhere just totally wrecked me and that random dominican lady. It was pretty funny though.
Ewe
During a lesson we were teaching, and this 3 year old kid just walked in the middle of the room and puked everywhere. It was kinda funny. Then the next day we were street contacting someone and a guy walked in between us and the investigator and tripped while doing so. It was awkward. But before I had the chance to help the guy out he popped right up and said “gloria a Dios” and went on his way.
Reverse Mosquito Net…?
In my first area here in the DR (Navarrete) I needed a mosquito net super bad. They were insane. My second area here (El Dorado) they weren’t bad at all because we were like 5 floors off the ground. But here in Puerto Plata they have been bad again. However I was secretly kind of happy because I get to use my zapper more and watch them die. I hate mosquitos so much. I feel like the third of the hosts of heaven that rebelled are actually just mosquitos. Sent to earth to torment man.
So right when I got here I put up my mosquito net. Except it has been more of a curse than a blessing lately. During the day I haven’t done a good job of tying it up to keep the mosquitos from going in, so during the day the mosquitos sneak in. Then at night, I get in my mosquito net and tie it up to keep any from coming in. Genius, except when the mosquitos are already in the net. Instead of keeping them from coming in, it keeps them from going out, giving me like 10 times more mosquitos bites. There were two nights in a row where I literally woke up because of mosquito bite pain.
Umbrella
Long story short, I really like umbrellas. But I didn’t know I did until like two weeks ago. I’ve had a super nice umbrella my whole mission but I’ve never used it. If it rains I just use my raincoat. But a couple weeks ago I decided to try the umbrella and just totally loved it. It looks super cool and when you press the button and it shoots out it feels like pulling out a lightsaber. So I had a great time using my umbrella because it’s been raining so much lately. But last week I accidentally left it on a bus, and have been really depressed about it since. One of the elders gave me an umbrella replacement, but it just isn’t the same. It doesn’t have the button that just shoots it open so it’s kind of pointless. And I broke the handle of it while trying to open it like a lightsaber. Instead of popping out, the umbrella part flew off. So it’s been tough. This week it rained so much. It was insane. We walked to a lesson and by the time we got there my waterproof shoes were soaked on the inside because of all the puddles I had stepped in. The guy we were teaching saw my situation and let me try to dry my shoes on his stove. It kind of worked. But then after the visit we had to go back out, and I was still umbrellaless. So our friend Ramon gave me a giant plastic bag that I used to protect myself the rest of the night. It was pretty cool. But I looked dumb.
Soul and Sax
We were supposed to prepare a christmas presentation with our zone for our mission christmas activity, so I ended up playing the saxophone which was a ton of fun. It’s been a while since I played it. We borrowed the horn from a member who is really into it as well. After the zone performances we watched the movie “Soul” in spanish by pixar and it was actually super good. Maybe it’s just because I haven’t seen a movie in 18 months, but I was kinda hypnotized the whole time. But it was such a good movie. It had a ton of gospel parallels too.
Feliz Navidad
Christmas was a normal proselyting day for us which was fun. But in the morning we cooked crepes which was pretty fun.
We also slept the night before under our little christmas tree that my grandma sent me because me and my siblings always slept under the tree christmas eve growing up.
La Fwance
There’s a lot of people here who are haitian so they speak hatian-creole. That’s also pretty similar to french, so we talk to french speakers occasionally. I talked to one this week and wanted to communicate with them. I have the song ´´Le Festin´´ from Ratatouille memorized, so I sang it to her thinking that she would understand. She didn’t understand anything.
LA OBRA DEL SEÑOR
I have been so hecka busy and I need to wrap this email up like right now but the work here has been absolutely amazing. Sometimes I feel like I could just live in this little sketch town for a long time. It’s super great. We have a lot of friends coming to church. This week we had 8 that came which was a miracle because when I first got to this area we didn’t have anyone. Next month hopefully a good number of them will choose to be baptized. I wish I had time to write you about each of them individually, but I don’t. Next week I’ll make sure to give you an overview of all of them and their story though. But overall, things are great with la obra. Me encanta la República Dominicana.
Spiritual Thought
Quick thought because I don't have time. We talked to an inactive member and invited her to come back to church. She said yes, and that since she stopped coming life has been harder for her. I feel like we think that life with God makes it harder, but we need to remember that God isn't just there to help us spiritually, but with every aspect of our lives. Remember that. And please read the Book of Mormon every day
Love you guys! Gotta go
Elder Wride
No comments:
Post a Comment